KQED, Senior Interactive Producer, September 2013 – present
- Won Knight Prototype Grant to produce health cost transparency database.
- Led migrations of several news products and blogs.
- Focused on data reporting and analysis, including analysis of Medicare data.
Interim Online Editor, May 2013 – September 2013
- Led online team through Prop. 8 ruling coverage, BART strike coverage and other breaking news events.
- Created online freelancer guide.
- Continued to build on the news guide series.
Interactive Producer, July 2010 – April 2013
- Created and produced award-winning California Proposition Guide, and election coverage.
- Created and led photography and video internship program.
- Produced interactives, including data visualizations, video, and audio.
- Managed news homepage, create content packages.
California Watch, Multimedia Producer, August 2009 – July 2010
- Produced interactives, including video, audio, flash, and data visualization.
- Part of the initial launch team.
San Francisco Chronicle/SFGate.com, Web Producer Intern, January 2009 – April 2009
- Reported and produced an interactive game on water allocation in California.
- The project included a flash interactive, video shooting and production and a full-page print article.
Bay Guardian, Regular Freelance Contributor, March 2007 – January 2009
- Shot, produced and narrated monthly video or audio slideshows on local cultural events.
Center for Investigative Reporting, Multimedia Intern, July 2008 – September 2008
- Built multimedia packages for the Chauncey Bailey Project, including an interactive timeline of the Bey Family and a biography Bailey.
- Helped design and build a new Web site and content management system for the Chauncey Bailey Project.
- Built a flash package tracking 527 donations and conducted research for the Secret Money Project, a joint NPR and CIR project.
Digital TV and The World, Web Producer, May 2008 – July 2008
- Produced and designed a comprehensive Web package for the Washington Post that included videos and data while in Beijing.
- Teach editors, reporters and students video production, audio production, flash, CSS, php, mapping and social networking tools.
- Assist with development and maintenance of university Web sites.
Chauncey Bailey Project, Research Assistant, August 2007 – August 2008
- Worked with IRE and local newspapers to create a database of businesses owned by the Bey family.
- Researched hundreds of properties owned by the Bey family for a database to track fraudulent real estate transactions.
- Tracked Bey family campaign contributions to local government officials since 1990.
NationalJournal.com, Online Producer, January 2007 – August 2007
- Produced special news features, such as flash maps, photo slideshows and a multimedia Campaign section.
- Designed front page for a.m. and p.m. editions, wrote headlines, captions, blurbs and selected stories and graphics.
- Copy-edited news stories, polls, graphs and other content.
- Wrote political book reviews and other feature pieces.
National Academy of Sciences, Assistant Web Editor, August 2005 – December 2006
- Wrote news briefs on current science news and published weekly newsletter with 10,000 subscribers.
- Edited, programmed, designed and maintained http://www.nationalacademies.org, lower level pages and multimedia packages.
- Photographed Academy/science events for internal use and distribution to outlets such as Newsweek, Science and MSNBC.com.
United Press International, Freelance Technology and Business Correspondent, January 2005 – August 2005
- Formulated story ideas for technology desk, wrote three stories a week analyzing technology and business news.
- Covered major political events, including the 2004 election, Inauguration, State of the Union and the Grokster Supreme Court case.
Black Farmers in America, Research Assistant, May 2005 – February 2006
- Interviewed farmers and black farmer association leaders for book and museum exhibit by Juan Williams and John Ficara.
MJ, Journalism New Media, University of California, Berkeley May 2009
Wired Excellence in New Media Award
Best new multimedia student of the class of 2009.
- Relevant class work: Advanced Multimedia, DigiTV, Intro to Radio, Editing for the Web, Narrative Writing and Business Reporting.
BA, Print Journalism American University, Washington, D.C., May 2005
Honors Program student, summa cum laude, Kappa Tau Alpha
- Computer: Flash, HTML, CSS, Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, QuarkXpress, ProTools, Microsoft Access, Lexis-Nexis, Dreamweaver
- Languages: Mandarin, beginning intermediate skill in characters, pinyin and spoken; Italian intermediate skills, written and spoken
- Online Journalism Award Best Small Team Student Journalism 2009, It Happens at Midnight
- Online Journalism Award Knight Public Service 2009, Chauncey Bailey Project
- Online Journalism Award Small Investigative 2009, Chauncey Bailey Project
- Wired Excellence in New Media 2009, It Happens at Midnight