KQED, Senior Interactive Producer, September 2013 – present
- Led migration of KQED News. Led new site launch for The California Report; traffic quintupled in three months. Created and led training program for 50+ staffers.
- Specialized in data reporting and analysis, including Medicare and Pentagon data.
Interim Online Editor, May 2013 – September 2013
- Managed team of reporters, bloggers and photographers through award-winning same-sex marriage reporting, BART strike coverage and other breaking-news events.
- Researched and implemented a new open source asset management system for staff and freelancers improving productivity and workflow.
- Created online freelancer guide.
Interactive Producer, July 2010 – April 2013
- Created and produced award-winning California Proposition Guide, with more than 600,000 page views. Continued guide series with Obamacare Guide.
- Created and managed photography and video internship program.
- Wrote daily articles and built interactives, including maps and data visualizations.
- Manage news homepage, create content packages.
Center for Investigative Reporting, Multimedia Producer, August 2009 – July 2010
- Product-managed California Watch launch with developers and designers.
- Produced interactives, including video, audio, Flash and data visualization.
Chauncey Bailey Project, Data and Research Assistant, July 2008 – September 2008
- Created databases of businesses and properties owned by Bey family. Tracked campaign contributions to local government officials since 1990.
- Helped design and build website and content-management system. Produced award-winning multimedia packages.
San Francisco Chronicle/SFGate.com, Web Producer Intern, January 2009 – April 2009
- Reported and built interactive game on water allocation.
Bay Guardian, Regular Freelance Contributor, March 2007 – January 2009
- Shot, produced and narrated monthly video on cultural events.
Digital TV and The World, Web Producer, May 2008 – July 2008
- Produced and a comprehensive Web package for the Washington Post on the Beijing Olympics while in China.
- Taught editors, reporters and students video production, audio production, flash, CSS, php, mapping and social networking tools.
- Assisted with development and maintenance of university Web sites.
NationalJournal, Online Producer, January 2007 – August 2007
- Produced special news features, such as flash maps, photo slideshows and a multimedia election section.
- Wrote political book reviews and other feature pieces.
National Academy of Sciences, Assistant Web Editor, August 2005 – December 2006
- Wrote news briefs and published weekly newsletter.
- Edited, programmed, designed and maintained website.
- Photographed Academy/science events for internal use and distribution to outlets such as Newsweek, Science and MSNBC.com.
United Press International, Freelance Technology and Business Correspondent, January 2005 – August 2005
- Formulated story ideas for technology desk, wrote three stories a week analyzing technology and business news.
- Covered major political events, including the 2004 election, Inauguration, State of the Union and the Grokster Supreme Court case.
Black Farmers in America, Research Assistant, May 2005 – February 2006
- Interviewed farmers and black farmer association leaders for book and museum exhibit by Juan Williams and John Ficara.
MJ, Journalism New Media, University of California, Berkeley, May 2009
BA, Print Journalism American University, Washington, D.C., May 2005
Honors Program student, summa cum laude, Kappa Tau Alpha
- Regional Edward R Murrow Award, California Same-Sex Marriage 2014, News Website 2013 Water and Power 2013, Election Coverage 2012
- Knight Public Service Award and Investigative Journalism Award 2009, Chauncey Bailey Project
- Online Journalism Award, Small Investigative 2009, Chauncey Bailey Project
- Online Journalism Award, Best Small Team Student Journalism 2009, It Happens at Midnight
- Wired Excellence in New Media 2009, It Happens at Midnight
- Finalist, SXSW Interactive 2010, It Happens at Midnight